The secretion of perspiration through the skin is a normal physiological phenomenon. The problem occurs when excessive sweat is produced and when
sweat smells unpleasant. Learn about 5 Reasons for Bad Sweat Smell and How to Prevent Excessive Sweating !
• Sweat is a breeding ground for bacteria and they are responsible for its unpleasant smell.
• Most often, profuse sweating is associated with poor body hygiene, but there may be other causes as well. • Usually, deodorants and antiperspirants are sufficient to reduce unpleasant sweat odor.
What does the smell of sweat depend on?
Sweat is secreted by sweat glands, which are located throughout the skin of the body, especially on the face , arms, legs , armpits , groin.
There are two types of sweat glands: eccrine glands and apocrine glands.
The first ones are located on the skin, while the second type coexists with the sebaceous glands and hair. Depending on which glands there are more on the body,
the consistency and smell of sweat changes.
• Sweat produced by ecrine sweat glands is odorless and colorless. It consists of water, sodium chloride, electrolytes.
• In turn, the sweat secreted by the apocrine sweat glands has a very pungent and unpleasant odor. This odor is produced by the metabolism of sweat.
(which itself is odorless) bacteria – due to its high protein content, the sweat produced by the apocrine glands is an excellent environment for them.
In addition, this sweat is yellow, and when this type of gland predominates in the body, excessive sweating is very common .
Unpleasant smell of sweat – reasons
Improper body hygiene is one of the most common causes of unpleasant sweat odor. Lack of systematic and thorough washing of the skin of the body (especially places,
where the sweat glands are located) leads to the accumulation of sweat – wet places create ideal conditions for the existence of bacteria responsible for it
unpleasant smell. An unsuitable antiperspirant can cause strong body odor. We are talking about deodorants, antiperspirants or so-called
blockers. It is worth turning to proven products that effectively reduce perspiration , minimize unpleasant odor and provide
Antiperspirants – reduce perspiration , prevent unpleasant odor. Classic antiperspirants contain aluminum salts (the most effective
Deodorants – do not suppress perspiration, but only mask the unpleasant odor that occurs due to the breakdown of sweat by bacteria on the skin, and also prevent
Blockers – intensely and permanently suppress perspiration , contain aluminum salts and other antiperspirant substances that penetrate deeper into the sebaceous
glands; sometimes available as a cream, they provide protection against perspiration for up to 72 hours.
The unpleasant smell of sweat is also affected by the violation of the hormonal balance of the body, which affects the work of the sweat glands. As a result, the selection increases.
sweat that is yellow and stains clothing.
Sweat odor also depends on the diet. Lack of water, fast food, large amounts of salt and hot spices in food make the smell of sweat pungent and unpleasant.
Eating plenty of red meat, onions, garlic, asparagus, and cruciferous vegetables is also recommended.
Bad sweat odor can also indicate a variety of medical conditions. The smell of sweat suggests diabetes or kidney problems .
Analyzing the aforementioned causes of unpleasant sweat odor, there are a couple of actions that can help reduce it:
• First of all, you should take care of hygiene and cleanliness. Areas subject to perspiration should be washed at least twice a day, and more often if necessary. • Apply antiperspirants and deodorants to washed, dry skin. • Armpit epilation is not only a matter of aesthetics, but also of hygiene. The sweat that collects on the hairs is a good breeding ground for bacteria – that’s when its unpleasant odor is formed. • Take care of frequent changes of clothes – fabrics absorb sweat odors easily. • Take care of a balanced diet, avoid unnecessary spicy foods and spices, especially in summer when you sweat a lot. • If the change in sweat odor occurs suddenly or for no apparent reason, consult your doctor as it may be related to your health problem.